Pot Pie is one of those childhood comfort food favorites. The combination of a buttery and flaky pie crust with a creamy gravy filled filling is hard to beat. This vegetarian pot pie recipe checks all of those boxes.
As a vegetarian, you don’t have to miss out on some of your favorite meat-centric dishes from the past. This is an easy dish to veggify. Leaving out the meat is the first step. Adding more veggies and making a delicious gravy with one of my favorite herbs.
Thyme is one of those herbs that brings me directly into the fall and holiday season with just one bite. The gravy in this vegetarian pot pie is full of flavor due to the addition of dried thyme.
Speaking of the Holiday Season this Pot Pie recipe makes a great vegetarian main dish at any Holiday dinner. Pot Pie doesn’t have to be the dish you make with leftovers. It’s a great star on its own.
Vegetarian Pot Pie Ingredients
You can absolutely make a pie crust from scratch and use it in this recipe. I choose to buy a pre-made crust to make this recipe easier.
The frozen mixed vegetables are a great time saver for this pot pie.
I use whole milk in this recipe. You could use cream if you have it on had. I wouldn’t use anythings with less fat than the whole milk to keep the gravy rich and creamy.
Vegetarian Pot Pie Tips
When cooking the potato in the pan you can keep adding a little bit of water as it’s cooking to keep the potatoes from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Let the Pot pie cool a bit before serving. It will help it hold together more.
This pie is great to make ahead and bake before serving.
The Vegetarian Pot Pie can all be frozen for the future. To prepare for freezing tightly wrap the pot pie in plastic wrap and foil. When cooking, remove the plastic wrap and bake for 40 minutes with the foil on. Remove the foil and bake for 30 more minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.
Pot Pie Serving Suggestions
Fall Spinach Salad makes a great light and green side dish.
The Vegetarian Pot Pie makes a Vegetarian Holiday Main Dish. Serve with your favorite Holiday Sides.
Fun Pie Facts
According to the American Pie Council, Americans buy more than 186 million pies at the grocery store each year. That is enough to stretch around the globe and beyond. 7% of Americans have also tried to pass off a store-bought pie as homemade.
Have you tried to pass off a store bought pie as homeade?
Vegetarian Pot Pie Price Breakdown
- 1/4 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp Flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbs Butter
- 1/2 Cup Milk
Fresh Ingredients Needed For The Recipe
- Pie Crust
- 1 Potato
- 1 sm Onion
- 1 1/2 cups Frozen Mixed Veggies
- 1 Garlic Clove
I hope you enjoy this yummy pot pie!
Vegetarian Pot PieCourse: MainDifficulty: Easy
A Vegetarian Comfort Food Classic. A buttery flaky crust with a warm gravy veggie loaded filling.
2 – Pie Crusts
1 – Medium Sized Potato
1- Small Onion
1 1/2 Cups of Frozen Mixed Veggies
1 Garlic Clove
1/4 tsp Dried Thyme
1/8 cup Water
1 tsp Flour
1/2 cup Milk
1 tbs Butter
1/4 tsp Salt
Pepper to taste
- Small dice the potato
- Dice the onion
- Cook the diced potato in a frying pan with a little water, keep adding some water as needed to keep the potatos from sticking to the pan
- When the potatos are almost done add in the onion
- When the onions are almost done add in the mixed veggies
- Add the minced garlic clove and seasonings
- Add the butter
- Mix the flour, milk and 1/8 cup water together
- Add the milk mixture to the veggies
- Let the mixture thicken slightly
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the mixture from the heat and let it cool slightly
- Preheat the oven to 375
- Pour the filling into the bottom crust
- Add the top crust, make sure it is vented for steam to escape
- Bake the pie for 35 minutes or until golden and bubbly, cover with foil if needed to prevent the crust from burning
- Let the pot pie sit for ten minutes before serving