The first time I ever made homemade cranberry sauce I was surprised by how easy it was. It’s one of those dishes that looks harder than it is.
There are a few different camps when it comes to cranberry sauce. The jellied canned cranberry sauce, canned whole sauce, and homemade. I actually like the jellied stuff in the can. It must be because it’s what I grew up having. My kids are big fans as well.
Some people may be whole cranberry sauce hesitant if you have only had what’s offered in the can. If that’s you or someone you know, this homemade cranberry sauce may just be the sauce that converts you.
Table of Contents
Fun Cranberry Sauce Facts
- Cranberries are one of the only fruits native to North America. The other two are blueberries and concord grapes.
- The berries are primarily grown in five US States. Massachusetts, Wisconsin, New Jersey, Oregon, and Washington.
- Cranberries are not grown in water. It’s a common misconception that cranberries grow in water. They actually grow on low-running vines in bogs and marshes, which are flooded when the berries are ripe and ready because they can float and this makes it easy to mass-harvest them.
Homemade Cranberry Sauce Ingredients
- Fresh cranberries, these tart little jewels are the star of this dish. Try a fresh one if you never have
- Orange Juice, The juice as a delcious citrus note to the sauce
- Brown Sugar, You can use white sugar but, the molasses in the brown sugar add some sweet caramelized depth to the cranberry sauce
- Water, it’s a must have to have the perfect sauce consisitncy
Cranberry Sauce Serving Ideas
Of course, cranberry sauce is the perfect addition to any Holiday Meal. Here are some other ways to serve this delicious sauce.
Marinate tofu or other protiens in the sauce.
Create a salad dressing with the sauce by adding some oil and vinegar. Use a 3 to 1 ratio of the oil and vinegar and mix in as much cranberry sauce as you like.
Make a sandwich spread with some cranberry sauce and mayo.
Mix with some yogurt for a nice breakfast or snack.
Use as a topping for cheesecake.
Mix with butter to make cranberry butter. Soften the butter to room temperature and mix in some sauce. Roll the butter into a log in plastic wrap for the perfect cranberry butter slice. Spread the butter on toast, bagels or English muffins.
The cranberry sauce can also be frozen into the perfect serving size in the future using silicone freezer cubes.
Cranberry Sauce Price Breakdown
- 12 oz – Cranberries
- 1/2 cup Orange Juice
- 1/2 cup Water
For 8 servings this recipe totals $ 2.43.
The per serving price is $ .30.
I hope this cranberry sauce makes an apperence at your next Holiday Dinner. Enjoy!
Easy Homemade Cranberry Sauce- A Deliciously Simple SauceCourse: SidesDifficulty: Easy
Sweet and tangy cranberry sauce. The perfect addition to your Holiday Season.
12 oz bag of Cranberries
1/2 cup Water
1/2 cup Orange Juice
1 cup of Brown Sugar
- Combine all of the ingredients into a sauce pan
- Set on medium heat and bring to boil
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low
- Let simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the cranberries have started to burst open, and the sauce has started to thicken
- Let cool for 20-30 minutes until it has thickend some more
- Store in fridge