Refried beans are a classic dish that is full of tex-mex flavor. You may end up with leftovers from a can or a big batch of homemade beans. How should you store your beans? Can you freeze refried beans?
Refried Beans can be frozen in labeled airtight containers for up to 6 months. The frozen refried beans can be thawed in the fridge or reheated in a saucepan on low heat, or in the microwave in under 3 minutes. If the reheated beans are dry add a tablespoon of water to add moisture.
Table of Contents
How Long Can I Keep Refried Beans Fresh In The Refrigerator?
Canned refried beans last 3 to 4 days in the fridge when properly stored.
When storing an opened can of refried beans in the fridge it’s best to put the beans in an airtight container made of plastic or glass.
How To Freeze Refried Beans
Freezing refried beans is easy and very effective if a few simple steps are followed.
- Make sure your beans are fully cooled before start the freezing process
2. Decide on the portion size you would like to use. Do you want single servings fr larger amounts for recipes or a combination of the two?
3. Gather the containers you will be using. Airtight containers and freezer bags work best. I suggest using freezer bags for ease of use and the small amount of freezer space they require.
4. Label and date your containers. Make sure to include today’s freezing date and a use-by date that’s 3 to 6 months from now.
5. Fill your containers with your beans, make sure to remove as much air as you can from the container.
6. If using freezer bags I recommend freezing them flat. Place the bag of beans on the counter and flatten it out before placing it in the freezer.
How To Thaw Frozen Beans?
You’ve successfully frozen a batch of refried beans and now want to use some. What’s the best way to thaw frozen beans? Here are a few tips and tricks on how to use beans that have been frozen.
- The best way to thaw beans is to thaw them overnight in the fridge. I Iike to place the frozen package inside a container just in case there is ice on the outside of the package that could melt and leak inside the fridge.
2. If you have forgotten to remove the beans from the freezer and you need to use them right now don’t worry. There are two quick options. Place the frozen beans still inside the container inside a large bowl in your sink. Start some running water over the beans and let them sit in the water for a few minutes.
3. If you can remove the beans from the container they have been frozen in you can also put them directly into a saucepan to heat.
How To Reheat Frozen Beans
You have options on how you are going to reheat your frozen beans.
- Reheat the beans in a saucepan. Put your beans into a saucepan and heat on low. Keep an eye on the beans and stir often to make sure you don’t burn them.
2. Reheat the beans in the microwave. Refried beans can be heated in the microwave in under 3 minutes. Place the beans in a microwave-safe container and cover. Heat the beans for one minute then stir. Do this repeatedly until the beans are warm.
3. Thaw the beans and use them in a recipe. There are many ways to use your beans, you can thaw the beans and use them in enchiladas and tostadas to name a couple. The beans will then be heated as the recipe cooks.
Regardless of how you choose to reheat your beans, they may be dry after freezing. Add a little bit of water to the beans as needed to revive them.
How Long Can You Keep Refried Beans Frozen?
Refried beans can be frozen for 3 to 6 months.
Can You Freeze Canned Refried Beans?
Yes, You can freeze canned refried beans. Make sure to remove them from the can and freeze them in a freezer-safe container.
Can You Freeze Homemade Refried Beans?
Yes, Make a big batch of refried beans and freeze them for later. Making your own beans ensures the ingredients and flavor is just as you like. It’s also more affordable to make your own in bulk.
Can You Freeze Beans And Rice?
You can freeze rice and beans! This classic combination is affordable and nutritious. You can prepare the rice and beans ahead of time and have them waiting for you in the freezer for a quick meal when you need it. There are a few steps to follow to ensure your rice and beans will be tasty as possible.
- Freeze the beans and the rice in separate containers.
2. Let the beans and rice cool before freezing.
3. Label all of your containers with the contents inside and todays date.
4. Drizzle a small amount of oil in the rice and stir to prevent sticking. Make sure not to overdo the oil or the rice will get greasy.
5. Put the rice in portioned containers and remove as much air as possible, if using freezer bags flatten the bags on the counter to remove as much air as you can.
6. Place the rice in the freezer.
7. The frozen rice will be good for up to 6 months.
8. When reheating break the frozen rice into chunks and place in a bowl.
9. Cover the bowl and microwave on high heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
10. Carefully remove the hot rice from the microwave and fluff and serve.
Can You Freeze Bean Dip?
Bean dip can be frozen for up to 3 months as long sealed in an airtight container.
The dip can be thawed in the fridge or warmed up in the microwave at 30 second intervals.
How To Use Refried Beans
Refried beans are so versatile and delicous. Make a batch and enjoy them in many ways.
How To Make Refried Beans
Making your own refried beans is easy and customizable.
- Heat olive or coconut oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add finely diced onions and peppers to the pan. Add salt. Cook stirring often to prevent the onions from burning. Cook until the onions are translucent.
2. Add chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin. Cook the spices in the pan for a few moments until they become fragrant. Pour in the drained can of beans. Cook the beans for 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Reduce the heat and remove the lid. Mash the beans until they are at your desired consistency. Continue to cook the beans uncovered for about 5 minutes. Stir continuously to avoid burning and sticking.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and taste. Add more salt or water to if needed.
How Long Does An Unopened Can Of Refried Beans Last? – An unopened can of refried beans can last for up to 2 to 5 years.
Is A Can Of Refried Beans Good Past Its Expiration Date? – Canned refried beans can still be good after the expiration date. The date provided is the manufacturer’s estimate of the date when the beans are at their best. It’s best to be safe and not consume foods past their expiration dates.
Refried Beans are a tex-mex staple that can be stored in your freezer for up to 6 months.
The beans must be stored properly in labeled air tight containers to ensure freshness.
When you are ready to enjoy your frozen refried beans they can be thawed in the fridge or reheated in a saucepan or microwave.